Marriage Officiant

To perform a wedding ceremony in Minnesota, you must register with a Minnesota county prior to the ceremony.  No credentials are required to register with the county.  (M.S. 517.04)

Ministers of any religious denomination, before they are authorized to solemnize a marriage, shall file a copy of their credential of license or ordination or, if their religious denomination does not issue credentials, authority from the minister’s spiritual assembly, with the local registrar of a county in this state. (M.S. 517.05)

Filing Requirements

  • Completed Certificate of Filing (PDF). This can be done in person or it can be sent via email, mail or fax.
  •  Copy of your credentials or ordination certificate per MN Statute 517.05 if applicable.
  •  $20 Filing Fee.
  •  Officiant must be 21 years of age or older.

Information for Marriage Officiant

A marriage license that was issued by Chippewa County is given to the applicants at the time they complete the application process. They will receive two pieces of paper that include the marriage license and the marriage certificate. They will also receive an envelope with postage that can be used to send the completed certificate back to our office. The marriage license shall be kept by the officiant as proof of your authority to solemnize the marriage. The marriage certificate needs to be completed by the officiant. Failure to complete the marriage certificate properly will result in a delay of the issuance of the certified marriage certificate. 

Marriage Officiant Information Brochure

If you have any questions, please call our office at 320-269-9431.